Implications of Google buying Nest, balancing skepticism with pragmatism, modern expectations of privacy, and Casey's vast emoji archive.
- Follow-up: whether iMessage problems are widespread, reasons behind flattening the Mac Mini, and HDR TVs.
- The storage costs of Casey's emoji.
- Google buying Nest for $3.2 billion.
- Ben Thompson on Google's business model.
- Nest has over 200 employees, including many ex-Apple employees.
- The Target-pregnant story.
- Marco's critical reading of Nest's statements.
- Maintaining a skeptical but pragmatic relationship with Google.
- Stephen Hackett's pants and regrets.
- Modern expectations of privacy.
- Potential for privacy laws like HIPAA applied to consumer technology.
- Google's public opinion is turning, but stories like this will never be in USA Today.
- Thought experiments with Apple buying Twitter, Dropbox, or Intel.
- After-show: Marco's house is filled with LEDs, John's house is filled with CFLs, and Casey's house is filled with apathy.